Jun 3 2008

i’m leaving carsonified…

after almost two years with carsonified, i’m announcing today that i’m moving to pastures new.

i’m more proud than words can say to have been part of a team that has gone from a few web apps, workshops and 2 large conferences a year – to numerous workshops, conferences, expos and web apps. i know the effort that goes into each of the events that carsonified lays on and i know that the team will continue to go from strength to strength. i thought it might be quite fun to recap…

during my time, i’ve…

reason for leaving

i know that many people will think that i’m mad for leaving such a forward thinking company, positioned in my opinion, in one of the best industries in the world.

i’ve been offered a 6 month contract with the oscar winning aardman animations (makers of wallace and grommit, heck yeah!) looking after their online communities and driving the strategies for their online presence. it’s an opportunity i feel that i have to take – i’m passionate about bringing content to the masses and community work is where my heart is, so i’m excited to apply this to another industry (whilst still being a web chick of course).

in the long term, i’d love to have my own consultancy some day – helping people connect with their users/communities and i think that this is vital experience in helping me along the way – plus, come on… it’s wallace and grommit! the first project that i am working on will be reaching out to animators, so if you have any work that you’d like to showcase, remember to keep me in mind…

my last day with carsonified is 5th June and then i’ll be out in the wilderness, yikers!

so what now?

i love you guys. i love the web. i love everyone who spends 5 minutes reading my silly blog about things that really don’t matter. i love the way everyone gets more and more amazed (and often baffled) by my random videos. i know that’s cheesy but it’s true. the friendships and connections that i have made over the last couple of years are genuine, i really care about you guys and i hope that they continue and everyone stays in touch.

the web is the best industry in the world. a revolution is taking place. connections are happening between people in the world that couldn’t be possible if it weren’t for the sites and technologies that you guys are working on, i’m so honored to be part of it. man i love the web :)

mel xox

p.s. i think i’d be quite good at oscar acceptance speeches don’t you think :D

p.p.s you can stay in touch by…

twitter:        www.twitter.com/melkirk
email:         melkirk1 at gmail dot com
facebook:   mel kirk (bristol)
seesmic:     www.seesmic.com/melkirk
aim:            melkirk2006

i’m basically all over the web!!!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Anthony says:

Wow, that must have been a tough call alright. Best of luck with the move Mel. You look to be doing it for all the right reasons.

2. Ciarán says:

Congrats – you seem to have made quite a splash at carsonified (I’m relatively new to this neck of the woods) and I’m sure you’ll do just the same, if not more, over at Aardman – and just think of the pro help you can get on your videos now!

Do Tweet if you’re ever in London and fancy a beer – there’s quite a few of us up here..

3. Sam Michel says:

Good luck Mel, great working with you at Carsonified. Good luck with at Aardman. Keep an eye out for Wallace, I hear he’s ‘all hands’.

4. vanderwal says:

Sorry to see you moving on from Carsonified, but what a cool new project! I deeply appreciate the work you have done and the transparency of your activities surrounding your work. Keep up the great work!

5. Paul Fabretti says:

Carsonified withouth Mel Kirk? You’re kidding right? That’s about as believable as that ridiculous Zobzee!!!

Seriously though, congratulations!

6. Mel Kirk says:

Thanks to all of you for all of your kind words. You’ll continue to see me at tons of events (got to get my fix, right?) and the randomness shall continue :)

7. thatcanadiangirl says:

Oh. My. God. Give Wallace and Grommit big hugs for me, yeah? And all those wee little bunnies with googly eyes.

Exciting times ahead, good luck! :)

V.
    PS – Your announcement caused my computer to crash, it was that shocked!

8. Nathan Bentley says:

I know we at the pod1 office will be sad to no longer have your glamorous self at FOWA making sure that things are running smoothly – thank god for twitter and random thursday vids to keep us going…! ;-)

Am sure you’ll have an awesome time at Aardman animation – just remember to keep us in the loop about the latest triumphs and tragedies!

9. Nate Westheimer says:

You’re going to kick butt at your new job. The real question is: when are we going to see Mel if not at conferences? You’d better show up at them… like Web 2 Expo NY :-)

10. Chris Prakoso says:

Just to say good luck with your new project. I admire your braveness for leaving Carson. Everything will be ok, don’t worry, just keep doing what your heart tells you to do :)

11. Lisa Price says:

Just to say a public best of luck for your nwe job at Aardman and indeed what’s sure to be a bright future in the world of community building. Loved working with you – so many highlights (not least ‘the man in the room’!!!) and ‘incidents’. Have fune with Wallace, Grommit, Shaun and co… they’re lucky to have you. x
    ps. what are we all looking at in that picture… the ‘future’!!!?

12. Mel Kirk says:

vero – i’ll try and steal you a googly eyed bunny if i can! don’t want to be sacked within my first week though, lol.

nathan – don’t worry on that front – the loop will sure not be broken – and i’ll still be coming to a lot of the events

nate – come one now, you really think i’m going to miss catching up in person??? heck no!

chris – thanks :)

lisa – my lovely. thanks for your lovely words. i thought you promised never to mention the man in the room incident again…. i think in the picture we were looking at a plasma screen (aka a portal to the future). love you x

13. Keith says:

Wow, Mel, that sounds like a really fun and cool opportunity! I’m sure it’ll be awesome and you’ll be the awesomest. Just keep a watchful eye out for those crazy sheep. :)

Best of luck!

14. Mel Kirk says:

Surprisingly Keith – quite a few people have mentioned watching the sheep. I’m thinking of contacting my life insurance company to let them know incase it’s increased risk :)

Seriously though – you’re one of those greats – I’ll still be at Southby – so you better stay in touch!

15. Niall Giggins says:

Best of Luck Mel,

Its a wonderful opportunity, and sounds like the perfect direction for you to take next. I’m sure the 6 months will turn in to many new and exciting projects at Aardman and beyond.

I hope you’ll still be showing your face at FOWA:London this year.

All the best
    Niall

16. David Prager says:

Mel – You’ve done such incredible things for Carsonified — Aardman is so lucky to have your wit, humor, personality, along with your incredible skills and talent! Best of Luck!

David

17. Mel Kirk says:

Niall – thanks. I sure will be. I might get to see the presentations now ;)

David – as always, you’re way too kind.

18. Justin Thorp says:

Best of luck with your new adventures!!!

19. Blaine Cook says:

That’s very exciting news — I’m expecting to see a ton of awesome animation all over the web any second now. :-) It’s crazy how many people are changing roles and places right now.

Best of luck! See you in October (if not sooner)!

20. Mel Kirk says:

Justin – Thanks, I appreciate it.

Blaine – You’re right, there do appear to be lots of shifts going on at the moment. Can’t wait for you to be in the UK – will be great to catch up!

21. Ricardo says:

Good luck on your new job!

22. Ryan says:

We’ll miss you Melski. Good luck in Wallace & Gromit land :)

23. Mike Gowen says:

Congrats Mel!! Good luck, it sounds like a great opportunity!

24. joandrews says:

haha just saw the bum pinch! :) ouch!
    Good luck Mel, i know you’ll do well
    x

25. Mel Kirk says:

Ricardo and Mike – Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Ryan & Jo – Thanks guys, it’s been a real pleasure working with you and I’m still going to be at events and wii night fo’ sure! :)

26. Chun says:

It’s hard to find educated people on this subject, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

27. http://tinyurl.com/takisharp26171 says:

Ur post, “Random Mel” ended up being well worth writing a comment
    down here in the comment section! Really wanted to point out u did a
    terrific work. Thanks a lot -Sang

28. http://tinyurl.com/newbwatts03625 says:

“Random Mel” was in fact a good posting. If solely there was more personal blogs similar to this amazing one on the the net.
    Well, thanks a lot for your time, Sidney

29. Thanh Spray says:

Post writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted with afterward you can
    write if not it is complex to write.

30. louis vuitton handbags says:

My brother recommended I might like this website.

He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had
    spent for this info! Thanks!