I was lucky enough to have attended a preview of the Sky News iPad application which is launching to the UK market on Thursday 17th March 2011. I can honestly say that the app is a killer and one that I believe will revolutionise the shape of our news consumption going forwards.
Adam Boulton, Political Editor for Sky News was kind enough to humour me with a candid interview:
Having been in development for a year, it’s clear to see that the app is well thought out and is completely different from any other app out there in the market at this time. It blurs the current divide between live streaming and tv on demand, allowing you to choose how, when and what to watch.
The key features of the app are:-
- Live streaming with ability to rewind, pause and fast-forward through the video right back to the start of the segment.
- Timeline of content allowing you to choose news stories depending on when they were published.
- When viewing content from the timeline, you can choose to interact with supporting material such as images, maps and articles, whilst still watching the video content.
- Immediacy. Watch content live or immediately after the segment has finished, no more waiting for content to be made available in on-demand services.
- Navigation using pinch and zoom functionality from the iPad.
- Top stories chosen by Editors ensuring the content is always of the highest standard. There is a dedicated team of 14 just working on content for the iPad.
The app is available for download for free for a number of months, followed by a paid subscription service for non-Sky subscribers. This will be a free addition to the suite of benefits to those currently subscribed as a Sky member.
I’d like to thank Adam Boulton for being a great sport and would encourage you to download the app for free from Thursday to play for yourself.